Wednesday 16 May 2012

Bullying - you're doing it. All wrong.

So, I'm a fan of the Sarcaschicks, and this week the topic is 'bullying', and considering I'm one of those people who have had tonnes of experience in this area, I decided I'd write a blog. I don't do vlogs - I feel awkward talking to a camera and seem to look in different directions - but I can do blogs, and this is the second best way of sending my message... to the world! Or at least to my future self.

As previously stated, I've had a lot of experience in the area of bullying. I moved school, suddenly, during the Christmas break after several years of bullying from one boy - let's call him Joe. Now, Joe was in my year, the same age, the same build, etc. but, for some reason, of which I can't seem to recall, Joe decided to pick on me. He called me names and he would purposely upset me during lunch and break times. I know these things happened, because I used to run home crying to my mum about it every single day, but this being one of the harshest aspects of my childhood, my fragile mind seems to have repressed these awful memories and I can't remember that time at all. Anyway, this has made it difficult for me because I was uprooted and placed in a new school so quickly - everyone already had their friends and I was an outcast - so I've always had difficulty making new friends. I can't explain it very well... but that one bully effected me until this day. Now I'm 18, with the prospects of moving up North to go to University at the end of the year, and my biggest worry is whether I'll cope with finding new friends.

A second example I have, which most people probably wouldn't class as bullying until they have it pointed out to them, is at work. I have a job in the school my Sixth Form is situated at. I'm a prefect, which means I control access to the building at lunchtime and have to direct people to other places, meaning they may have to go 'the long way around' to get to the place they want. Now, I've been given my instructions not to allow anyone, under any circumstances through the door that I patrol. Obviously, the students don't agree with this. I don't even agree with it! I think it's a stupid rule! But I have to stand by it, or I'll get sacked and, right now, I need the money (did I mention the Uni thing?). Now, I'll give you an example of what I have to put up with:

Student: *pulls door, realises it's shut, knocks on door* I have a detention.
Me: *shakes head and points in general direction of the door they are supposed to use*
(80% of students leave at this point)
Student: *yells* I have a detention! That door's locked as well!
Me: *shakes head again, seeing the door being used, points towards door again*
(98% of students leave by this point)
Student: *yells louder* I HAVE A DETENTION! OPEN THE FUCKING DOOR, YOU FAT SLAG!
Me: *opens door* You're not allowed in through this door, you have to use that door and go up the stairs, past the library and down again to get into this corridor. Sorry. 
Student: *yells in my face* But I have a detentions and I'm gonna be late! And I'm gonna blame you for making me late!
Me: If you follow my instructions, you'll be where you need to be for your detention in less than 5 minutes.
Student: But it's just there! Oi, brav, move!
Me: Sorry, you can't come through this way. *tries to shut the door*
Student: *holds door open, pulling roughly* Oi! If you were a student and not in the Sixth Form you wouldn't follow this dumb rule, would you?!
Me: Yes, unfortunately I'd have to because it's what's been set in place, if you don't like it, talk to the Deputy Head and have it changed. *shuts the door*
Student: *yells abusive comments and makes abusive gestures before leaving to follow my original instructions, then glares at me or yells abuse at me every time they see me from this point onwards*

All the while this is going on, she has a friend backing her up, swearing etc. and there is a member of staff about 10ft away. Now, I'm not questioning the workings of my school, but I am questioning how they can listen to these students yelling such profanity at me and my friends/colleagues and just... stand there. Don't even attempt to step in and help out. What? Really? And the students - I understand the anger, spur of the moment, you're going to be a little abusive if you're not getting your own way, but days, weeks, months afterwards, you're still holding that grudge? Because of what I do for my job? And you make me feel uncomfortable and upset because I'm following orders from my boss? Yes, it is bullying, guys. Anything that makes someone else feel bad is bullying. Perhaps you should think before you open your mouth next time.

Well, anyway, I'm quitting the job soon because I've recently snapped up a new, part-time job at Debenhams. :) I get a training session this Friday, and start my first shift on Saturday. I'm looking forward to it, but nervous that I'll do something wrong. Here's to hoping I can finally leave the bullying behind, once and for all! Because if I ever come across bullying in the work place... well... I will be... angry. I will be the one yelling abuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment